Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Aging....like a fine wine?

Our "birthday group" is made up of a few friends who celebrate one another's birthdays by going out to dinner together.  This week some of us got together to see the movie "Ides of March," then enjoy a rather spirited political discussion at a Mexican restaurant.   As often happens, the subject of age - and health - came up.  They noticed I was limping [just a tiny bit!] after the movie and wondered aloud how my back is doing.  "Fine!" I said, "Getting better!"  [Sitting still for long periods of time does bother it - then the leg starts hurting...]   They looked at me with the knowing eyes of women-of-a-certain age, so I added, "Mostly."    Because mostly, I like to think positive.  If you think "I am well!" you will be well.  Right? 


Then I distracted them by pointing out the buffalo painting on the side of a van.  "The painting you see on cars these days!  Is it some kind of photographic process?  It must be..."

Yesterday, on our way home from Riff's weekly group lesson, we were stuck in traffic for an extra 20 minutes or so - resulting in a back-ache that flared from "nagging" to "nasty."   Today, I am taking it easy.  Rest.  Ice.  Recumbent exercise bike.  Ice.  Rest.

Perhaps trying to jog during class added to the aggravation?  Not being able to move out of a goofy long-strided walk is frustrating beyond words, when you're trying to work through a master's-level agility course with a talented young high-drive Border Collie.  We enjoy working "bits," but we love running courses.  Patience is not my strong suit.  So I've been trying to jog lately.  Just a little, jog-like stride.... 


But the back has continued to bother me, pretty much 100% of the time.....week after week....so I dropped a quick email to my back doctor, asking for advice about jogging.  Her surprise reply:  "It can take a year to recover from the kind of injury you had [a YEAR...?!!!] and you should not be jogging at all until your back doesn't hurt any more."  Last time we talked about prognosis, she said six months.  Crikey.  

She also said, if your back still hurts and your leg bothers you, you have several options - 'a new mix of medications, one more epidural (but it would be your third, and last), or surgery.'  Her advice is to talk to a surgeon now...because surgery is 'more successful earlier than later.'   

What I'd like is to just age like a fine wine, with my bottle intact (so to speak) and no need for additives or adjustments.   Now I have a few things to think about. 

Ah, well. 

So I'll leave you with one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes:
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."

Ever onward!!

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter