Saturday, April 16, 2011

ka-Blam!


By Sunday late afternoon we'd unpacked everything from Dixon.  Woo boy, were we ever happy to be home, especially after being stuck in a traffic jam for an extra hour.  So-o-o-o tired!  We finally sat down to relax, have a beer, and get ready to watch a little Giants baseball.  (Riff likes baseball too...)




But it was difficult to get back up out of the chair.  Wow!  I couldn't figure out what was going on.  The front of my leg hurt.  Oh, well.  It'll go away.   Jeff served me a lovely little dinner, and I limped off to bed, nice and early....

But the pain never went away.  It just got steadily worse.  Pretty soon I could hardly walk.  Could hardly stand up straight.  Couldn't sleep.  It's amazing how quickly life can change.  I tried to be all "Everything is normal," and "I'm okay!  I'm okay!"  I even got the HT videos online.  But it was difficult.  Jeff finally talked me into seeing my Kaiser doctor on Thursday.  (I'm not much of a doctor person.)  Keeper and I missed our NoseWork class.  Riff and I were missing our lessons and practice sessions...and we had an AKC show coming up....

They took x-rays (even though I reassured them that I didn't fall, and that nothing was broken).  I haven't seen the report, but the doctor said it showed some arthritis in both hips and in my lower back.  Okay, well....whatever.  Still no big thing, at my age.  But the pain in my leg has been pretty bad.  The vicodin and muscle relaxant they prescribed didn't help at all.  Another sleepless night.  I'm okay if I stay perfectly still...but when I move "Y'ouch!"  So my doctor called another doctor - this one is a "sports medicine" guy.  That sounds pretty good, doesn't it?  He suggested Percocet and Prednisone.  I'd rather just know what's wrong and try to fix it - maybe with a nice massage?  Or...??  But beggars can't be choosers, and I was  a beggar by last night.  I tried the Percocet first (didn't help), because I've heard some weird things about Prednisone.  Like it makes you HUNGRY.  I'm on the Agility Diet Plan - I don't want to be hungry!  It can make you EUPHORIC.  Hmmmmm.  Is that so bad?  I think it can be....unless you're stuck on the couch, looking at a People magazine. I think "euphoric" may be the best way to read People. (My husband brought it home on a whim, because it has a feature about weddings.  Sigh. )  And Prednisone can make your face look like a MOON.  Well, what the heck.  The moon is kind of pretty, isn't it?  (Unless they're talking about the craters...)  Plus - I'm sure all of those side-effects would accompany a major dose, taken over a period of many weeks.  I'm just going to take a baby dose, for five days.  Because it can also reduce swelling.  And if this pain is some kind of nerve being pinched because of swelling, well then.  I'll just have to try it out.  

We missed our AKC show.  Sad like a bassett hound. 



But we've got a Big Bad Boy fighting for us now.  We'll get back to the agility field SOOOON!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are hurting Celeste. I also struggle with arthritic knees and hips. I started using the fitness for agility dvd by Lori Hanson, it has helped tremendously. Has a pre warm up routine that I use several times a week and before each run. I think Bay Team has the dvd if not let me know and you can borrow mine.

Laurie Salter

Celeste said...

Thanks, Laurie! I'll order it online.
xoxoxo

 
Free Hit Counter