Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Distance Training

Prior to April 10, my training goal was to "get into position for a front cross as often as possible"....and/or "stay ahead of my dog on course"...

Now my training goal is to "get used to distance"....and/or "help my dog through the course even though I'm wa-a-y behind him"...

To that end, Riff and I had another private with LP yesterday.  We are currently practicing the difference between taking the straight line on a course, and taking the arc.  Riff loves to stretch out and run, and is very willing to boogie down a line of obstacles.  (I do not share the same concerns as those with "velcro" dogs!)  He needs to learn to watch me (even though I'm behind him), so he knows when we're on a line and when we're on an arc.  I need to learn when and how to emphasize my cues.   (Someday we'll work on tighter turns. He's a big jumper!)   This series of photos shows Riff and I figuring out how to get the arc, instead of the straight. 

A send over the first jump...

....with a wrap back to me.
 


He's directed to go over the second jump...

....while I turn off toward #3 - the yellow jump.

He takes a long look at that inviting red jump...

....but notices I'm not with him...
 


....and hustles to catch up.

Good boy!


No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter